Sunday, December 10, 2017

African Quilt

A client brought me this beautiful quilt top earlier this year that she had made from fabrics which she had purchased while living in Africa.   She made this quilt top for a memory of their time there.  

She wanted to have the option of being able to wash it.  I was VERY concerned about the colors running since she had not pre-washed her fabrics.  So I asked her to take it home and gave her some specific washing instructions (cold water,  delicate/hand wash cycle to minimize fraying, with a box or two of those Clorox Color Catchers, and to repeat the process until the rinse water came out fairly clear)

It sat on my dining room table for a few weeks while I came up with a quilting design.

The focal fabric was this gorgeous elephant in the middle.  It's one of those waxed prints from Africa made like a batik on a soft canvas.   I free motion quilted around all the parts of the elephant, especially those ridges on his trunk, and buried the threads.  

I knew I wanted to incorporate a diagonal tile design to repeat the lines of the log cabin blocks.



My client asked that I incorporate this African design into the quilt.  So I sized it to fit in 4 corners.  
I copied it onto that special thin paper used for quilting, pinned it down and very slowly quilted over the design, burying the threads.

I added an echo around it, separating it from the tile quilting.  I stitched over the design several times to make it stand out.




My favorite fabric on her quilt (besides the elephant) was this border batik.  I love the contrast of the bright yellows and red/orange against the black (it was also used for the backing) I knew that free motion quilting around the fish and curved lines would add a nice contrast to the rest of the quilting and would make these fish pop.


I was very happy with how it turned out.  











2 comments:

  1. Wow, what a wonderful quilt! I think your quilting really added the perfect touches. I hope it washes up well and gives her years and years of pleasure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well done to the maker of this quilt. Your quilting is lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments.